Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sneaky Peeks!






I just recently surpassed the 100 page mark in the pre-production phase of Dust Bunny! And I'm really starting to feel it - both the excitement, and the energy that doing over 100 pages of thumbnails can drain from someone.

Of course, this is the most rigorous part; it's when the story, the script, the layout, the pre-planning, the re-pre-planning, the additions, subtractions...all of it...comes together to really make the story what it's going to be. Once you jump into the actual pages, if you've planned ahead well enough, you should really just be in cruise control at that point, completely focusing on making the pages look awesome. The last thing you want to realize when you're halfway into an illustration is "Oh dang...I forgot about -----!" Pre-production can make or break a project.

I've spent almost a full month or more doing nothing but character sketches (rough and slightly more polished), scripting, and thumbnailing. My projected "launch date" for this novel is July 1st. That's when I want to be able to sit down and crank out the very first page, from pencils to inks to finalizing. A page a day - that's my goal.

So, what you're looking at above is a screen shot of the Dust Bunny Production Book in its beginning stages (that's right, I'm putting together a fully comprehensive visual journal of the development of my first graphic novel), and thumbnails for pages 21-23. So far, everything is looking good! I can't wait to jump into these pages and really start splashing some ink around! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment