Tuesday, July 12, 2011

All Work and All Play.


Go with me for a moment, won't you?

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I usually do is go right back to sleep. I have 2 alarms on my phone that go off, without fail, every day at 7:45am and 8am. I've come to the conclusion that they're just a means of making me feel like I lead a normal life (like when Mel Gibson had to keep buying copies of "Catcher in the Rye" in the movie Conspiracy Theory), because I silence both of them and just roll out of bed when I feel like it.

The next thing I do when I wake up is swallow this looming feeling of guilt and laziness. Not because I've done anything wrong, or because I feel like I lack in productivity. I gobble these emotions down because everything that I do as a professional artist is from the comfort of my own home. No office, no assigned parking spaces. Just my apartment, my computer, and maybe my pants. I don't even have to get dressed if I don't want to. And I think there's something to be said for the scantily clad working man who didn't compromise his ethics in order to show up at his job with only one item of clothing on. And while I am, indeed, working from home - paying my bills, providing for myself, and the likes - I just feel guilty that people are out there, in cubicles, wearing ties and button-ups while I sift through my fridge, belting out whatever song is on my iTunes. Have you ever heard a grown man sing along with Taylor Swift? No. And you won't. Because you're not allowed in my house during work hours.

So, the image above is a process piece from page 9. I'm currently inking page 11, and things are going really great. It's invigorating to see how much has been accomplished with this book in only a week and a half. Tomorrow, Josh and I will be meeting up to begin "Phase 2" of this novel's production process. I'm really amped about it, and I'll be posting that update by the end of this week, hopefully. So stay tuned.

On a side note, I recently purchased www.dustbunnycomic.com, and at some point, I'll be putting a site together to accompany this blog. Until then, enjoy the simple teaser image.

No comments:

Post a Comment